VEHICLE STICKERS – All vehicles registered, to an address, in the City of Markham (automobiles, trucks, motorcycles, mopeds, etc.) must display a current city sticker/tag. Vehicle stickers and tags may be purchased
for $25.00 at City Hall. You must provide a copy of your vehicle registration.
The license year is December 1st to February 28th (February 29th in a leap year).

March 1st the sticker doubles to $50.00 and April 1st the sticker triples
to $75.00 and remains at that rate until the following December.

Residents, who purchase a new vehicle as a replacement vehicle, are required to obtain a transfer sticker. Transfer stickers are available for a fee of $1.00. You must bring the old sticker by attaching the sticker to a piece of paper. Whether you replace a vehicle, purchase a vehicle for the first time, or purchase an additional vehicle you must obtain a sticker within ten days of the purchase date. Proof of purchase is required to avoid any late fees that might normally apply.


Parking is prohibited on both sides of all streets for a period of 24 hours during or following a snowfall of two inches or more. (931)


Driveways must be paved or have a topping of all –weather surface, such as cement or asphalt. Dirt and stone driveways are prohibited


Must be in Paper Bags no larger than 30 gal. And each bag must display a “yard waste sticker” and will be picked up on your regular garbage day. Stickers are $2.50 each and can be purchased at city hall. (ord. 01-O-1723). Leaf burning is prohibited.


All residents are required to mow their lawns and keep their yards free of trash and debris. (566)


Markham ordinances provides that residents who own corner lots must trim their bushes and trees to a MAXIMUM height of 3 feet so they do not obstruct traffic vision. Violation can cause the resident to be ticketed. (330)


Each residence and business is required to have the street address displayed in such a manner that it is visible from the street. (427)


Children under the age of 18 must be off the streets and out of unsupervised places of amusement, eating or entertainment unless supervised by a responsible adult, between the hours of:
10:30 p.m. and 6:00 a.m. Sundays through Thursdays
11:30 p.m. and 6:00 a.m. Fridays and Saturdays (807)


It shall be unlawful for a person to generate or to create a sound which can be heard more than seventy five (75) feet from the source of the sound. (1716)


Signs designating “FOR SALE”, “OPEN HOUSE” or “NEW HOME INSPECTION”, or similar signs are permitted in a residential area. For Sale signs are also permitted on commercial property. Ordinance 99-O-1674 AN ORDINANCE REPEALING AND REVOKING A PROVISION OF THE MARKHAM ZONING CODE 156.276 (A) (5) “FOR SALE SIGNS”.


All dogs must be licensed and dog tags may be purchased for $15.00 at City Hall. The license year is December 1st to February 28th (February 29th in a leap year). March 1st the tag doubles to $30.00 and April 1st the tag triples to $45.00 and remains at that rate until the following December. A rabies certificate confirming rabies vaccination must be presented at the time of purchase.

Dogs must be kept inside a fence chained or leashed at all times. It is unlawful to harbor any animal which disturbs the peace by loud noises at any time of the day or night.

No more than three dogs or cats may be kept within any one household. Farm animals are not allowed except on property of five acres or more.
All animals must be provided with proper food, drink, shelter and air. No animal may be chained or tied in such a manner that the animal cannot freely stand or move about. These ordinances will be enforced by the Markham Animal Control Officer. Any person violating these ordinances can and will be fined as much as $200.00 for each offense.


Anyone wishing to give up an animal may do so by calling the Markham Police Department’s non-emergency number at (708) 339-8877


Street lights add to the safety of all residential neighborhoods. To
report a damaged or burnt out street light, please contact City Hall at (708) 331-4905


Citizens may register to vote at City Hall anytime during regular business hours. Two pieces of residential identification are required at the time of registration.